Rambling Artist Statement

In Woody Allen’s “Annie Hall,” Alvy’s ex-wife, Robin, asks “Alvy, what is so fascinating about a group of pituitary cases trying to stuff the ball through a hoop?” Alvy reponds, “What's fascinating is that it's physical. You know, it's one thing about intellectuals, they prove that you can be absolutely brilliant and have no idea what's going on. But on the other hand the body doesn't lie, as we now know.” Basketball blends analytical thinking and intuition at a fast pace. The physical tension that takes place in sports is always exciting and never gets old. It feels human. Coaches will often tell their players to “leave it all on the court” which means to give the game 110% and don’t leave the game with any regrets. Be completely sincere, do not doubt your intuition, and you can win. The same goes for making art.

In my studio, I feel like I am both coach and player in an important basketball game and I have called time-out. I rally the team together (my artistic influences, my personal history, materials, things professors and mentors have told me, and so forth) and make plays. While I paint, I ask myself these questions: Can I paint a personal painting? Can a painting embody something human? When “time-out” is over, I react to decisions made on my paintings. 

I move the paint around intuitively. My paintings are abstract and make reference to basketball team colors, offensive/defensive strategies in basketball, skin tones, and sentimental gradients from my memory. Sometimes these elements overlap. In other paintings, a single element is isolated. The paint is brushed, dripped, squeegeed, scratched, scraped, and squeezed right out of the tube. Under-layers are strategically revealed. In my paintings there is frustration, longing, excitement, hope, humor, futility, and loss. The result is visual tension and unscripted drama that alludes to the human experience.